Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Applause For The Kook! Seriously. Also, A Big Hand For Gjusta's Porchetta Banh Mi.

Last Friday's surf session was pretty much a success. In fact, I got applause on one wave. Really, this is no lie. A woman perched nearby on her board clapped for me after I got up on a wave and got a nice little ride. Okay, I'll admit it was from a fellow Kook -- or, well I should say a student who's part of a big group from USC I sometimes see out there. They all have big green Grecos like mine, and I know they're from USC because the school's logo is right there on the board in big black letters. Anyway, it was nice to get that little bit of encouragement -- if she only knew how long and hard I've worked to earn it. The weekend, unfortunately, did not offer up a surf session. Conditions were just kind of cruddy. But this week I managed to get out again on another super-mellow day, and I managed to catch a few really small waves. There was this one dude, though, on a super-long board, who was amazing. You'd barely see the wave he'd be going after, but he'd pop up in an elegant, almost effortless way and ride it all the way in. He made it look really, really easy, and for a while I was even trying to mimic his moves (plus I was super, super jealous to be honest, thinking 'why can't I do that?'). I tried, but I was having much less stellar results. Still, it was a good day, so I'll pat myself on the back, even though my old mentor would not approve. I still have so far to go, but progress is being made, and that's the important thing.

Afterwards it was lunch time and, as always after a session in the water, I was really hungry. I've been a very big fan of both Gjelina and Gjelina Takeaway in Venice, but so far I haven't gotten to their latest venture, Gjusta, although it's been on the must-try list. Then I saw they have Banh Mi, and I love Banh Mi, so here's lunch:



This was the Porchetta Banh Mi, and I'm here to tell you it's one really really delicious sandwich. Let's begin with the bread. Gjusta is also a bakery, and their baguette was just out of this world -- crisp crust, soft in the center, so so good. There was pate along with the Porchetta, some pickled vegetables, lots and lots of cilantro (sorry Sam) and a sauce that I'm guessing had Sriracha in it, and there were probably jalapeƱos or some kind of chiles because the sandwich had a really powerful kick. This was one of the best Banh Mi I've had, I think even topping Gjelina's brisket Banh Mi, which was also pretty amazing. Everything at Gjusta looked extremely tasty. Definitely a return is in order to try more. Okay, it was on the pricey side -- this isn't a cheap lunch, but these guys put so much care and love into what they do, it's worth it.

For all things Gjusta:

www.gjusta.com

No comments:

Post a Comment