Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Couple of Surf Sessions. Couple of Lunches: Knuckle & Claw and Wexler's Deli!

I am giving myself props for surf sessions last Wednesday Sunday. Why? Well, once again conditions were slightly different than I expected from reading reports on Surfline -- when I got out and took a look-see for myself, I could tell it was out of my comfort zone. It wasn't that the waves were all that big, but the ocean was choppy, and waves were coming in fast, with little time between them. I have issues with choppiness, but the good news is I put those issues aside, and I paddled out anyway on both days. Sunday's session was particularly good. My old mentor/teacher did not approve of my giving myself pats on the back -- he thought I was way too easy on myself, but since I've come such a long way in terms of overcoming fears and phobias, I have to do it anyway. I have learned that sometimes if you don't pat yourself on the back, nobody else will, so often it's okay!

Good, productive surf sessions deserve delicious lunches, I say. Recently I had read about Knuckle & Claw, a new place in Silver Lake devoted to lobster Rolls. Who doesn't love lobster rolls, that perfect simple combination of lobster meat and, if you're in Connecticut, melted butter, and elsewhere mayonnaise and maybe a little chopped celery, all piled into a split top hot dog bun that's also been grilled in butter, so that the bread develops a nice, little crispiness? We are particular fans of the lobster rolls at Lunch, in Amagansett, New York, and on this coast Connie and Ted's in West Hollywood's has awesome ones, as does the Hungry Cat. Here is Knuckle & Claw's version--


These rolls were really stuffed with perfectly cooked, nicely seasoned lobster meat. This was, as far as I could tell, closer to the Connecticut version, the lobster napped with butter, although I think I could detect some mayonnaise inside the bun as well. Served with a dill pickle, and with some Cape Cod Salt and Vinegar chips on the side, this was a pretty perfect lunch. So the next time you want a lobster roll, hit up Knuckle & Claw. I can't wait to get back to try the chowder too.

But wait, there's more! Surf Session #2 also merited a fine lunch. I've discussed and been partial to the MacArthur Park at Wexler's Deli downtown in the Grand Central Market. This sandwich, a tribute to the #9 at Langer's, is so, so good -- pastrami, Swiss cheese, cole slaw, Russian dressing, on excellent seeded crusty rye bread. I've had it several times, when not ordering my other favorite at Wexler's, half lox, half whitefish on a bagel. But I'd been eyeing the Reuben, and now it was time. Here, have a look at it:


Now I have a new sandwich to love at Wexler's! The Reuben is made up of corned beef with just the right amount of fat, sauerkraut, Swiss, and Russian on that same rye, but it's grilled, so the bread has that golden, buttery crunch to go along with the saltiness of the beef and the tang of the kraut. Wow. Another amazing lunch at Wexler's. In fact I was walking with it on a tray toward a table at the Grand Central Market and some dude looked at it and said, 'where'd you get that?' So I pointed him in the direction of Wexler's. You should go too.

Here's some info:

Knuckle & Claw: www.knuckleandclaw.com
Wexler's Deli: www.wexlersdeli.com

No comments:

Post a Comment