Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

More On Fear. Plus Wieners! (of the Hot Dog Variety)

I surfed today.  It was overcast when I got to the beach, but I kind of like that.  And very few people, which is always nice.  Here's what it looked like--



I wasn't alone but was with a buddy.  I did pretty good.  For me. With some guidance I got up and surfed a few good waves.  I also did something that's been pointed out to me before -- that when something unexpected happens, I go into a kind of panic mode, that I throw my surfboard off to the side and kind of bail when what I should be doing is fighting like crazy to catch the wave, pop up and stay with it.  This often happens when I feel as if I might nosedive, which for some reason just scares the bejesus out of me and it's something I will really have to fight to overcome if I want to get better, and I do want to do that.

In fact it's only recently that I had a sort of epiphany when it came to my surfing. Yes, I had a lot of anxieties and fears about the ocean, and I thought that I was conquering them.  But somehow what I forgot to overcome is my anxieties and fears about the waves themselves.  Waves (and not even very big ones, to be honest) were bearing down on me, and I'd be afraid, when what I should have been feeling is stoked, and fired up.   I should have -- and should be -- feeling like 'this wave is mine and I'm going to f'n nail it!'  So that's my next assignment -- change the attitude.  Easy, huh?  It's a slow process, but I'll get there.  I still think I've come a long way, but some would probably argue with me.

On the way home I was thinking about lunch, of course, because, as usual, I was super hungry.  And once again, I kind of felt like I needed something comforting. Hot dogs feel like comfort food, to me anyway. In the freezer I knew there were a couple of dogs left over from some barbecue, along with a couple of buns.  Plus I knew we had Kimchee.

Do you know Kimchee?  (or Kimchi is how it's also spelled, probably correctly). Kimchee is a staple of Korean kitchens; it's basically cabbage that's fermented and mixed with a lot of really spicy things.  It's a bit of an acquired taste, to be sure, but I love it (along with cilantro and srirarcha, Sam can't stand it!).  I like Dave's Kimchee, which you can get from Dave himself at the Silver Lake Farmers' Market on Saturday.  Here's what it looks like--


This stuff is super spicy, and the longer you keep it the funkier it gets. (side note:  if you like it milder, rinse it and squeeze out the excess water).  Plus it's supposed to be good for you, good for the digestion, so if you like Kimchee, eat a lot of it!

So anyway I decided on a very LA mash up.  Cheese dogs, with Kimchee on top. It's actually not that weird if you consider sauerkraut is probably really the German version of Kimchee, just another form of fermented cabbage, and lots of people like sauerkraut on hot dogs, right?

Here's what the finished Kimchee Cheese dogs looked like:


I should have chopped the Kimchee into a finer dice, but I was so damned hungry it couldn't wait and basically inhaled these.  I even forgot to add sriracha.   So basically hot dogs, buns, kimchee, cheese, mustard and relish.  I think this qualifies as Surf Dude Food.  I just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment