Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

El Nino Is Tough On Us Kooks. Plus A New Tuna Melt!

Wow! I just can't seem to get a break. And by a break, I mean one of those nice mellow wave days when I feel best on my board. Of course I must add that the real good surfers are having a blast. This is due to El Nino, which has been sort of a dud so far in Southern California in terms of rain, but it's still producing massive storm surges way out in the Pacific that are sending big, big swells into California, and that's what those guys and ladies live for. So I keep waiting for mellower days, but they've been rare these last few weeks. I'm sure they'll be back soon, though. Sorry big guys and ladies! Oh, but the good news for California with this El Nino is snow has returned in force, most especially up in the Sierra around Mammoth. Haven't made it to Mammoth yet, but I did make it up to Baldy to take some turns, and they had some pretty decent snow for a while. So there's your silver lining.

Meanwhile, I almost forgot  to post this sweet picture that Kate Funk took of a most delicious tuna melt -- because you can never have too many tuna melt pictures -- or ideas on where to get one, right?


Not bad looking, huh? This one came from the newly revamped Rose Cafe in Venice, where we had lunch after one of my little excursions in the water on a mellower day. I remember going to the Rose Cafe years ago. I recall it being sort of an earthy-crunchy kind of place, with lots of granola and alfalfa sprouts. Well, it's gotten sleeker, and more like the Venice of today, with upgrades all around on the food too. The bread was super delicious, the cheddar was aged, and I'm pretty sure those pickles are house-made. Fries couldn't be better too. So next time you're out by the beach, and you have a taste for a tuna melt, can't go wrong with the Rose Cafe! If you've had a good day in the water, it's a reward. And if you've had a bad day, it's consolation!

rosecafevenice.com



No comments:

Post a Comment