Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Sometimes It's Just Recon. In Surfing And Eating. Plus Trois Familia!

With fairly massive surf dominating much of California last week, I had to stay out of the water. Swell was way too big for the likes of me. But even good surfers were passing on some of the nasty conditions that were out there, all of this due to a pretty massive low pressure system blowing south and then east. Before this big swell really got going, though, I headed out to the beach because I thought I might get a session in. However, as is often the case, even if Surfline reports make it seem like it might be a good day for me, it turns out that you don't really know until you get to the sand and look for yourself. This was one of those times where when I got out there, it was clearly not a day in my wheelhouse. However, the day was not a total loss. I mostly surf around Santa Monica and occasionally Venice, and sometimes Zuma, or if we're lucky Carpinteria. But I've been so curious about Sunset Beach and Sunset Point, which are both closer to town. Sunset Point always looks sort of mellow, but I've been warned that it's deceptive, and that getting into those waves is tricky and requires a good bit of extra paddling. A check on Surfline revealed smaller waves at Sunset on this day, so I headed up there. I found a good spot to park, left the board on the car and just watched guys surf the waves that were coming around the point. Again, these were actually a bit on the big side for me, as was how to negotiate the paddle out, tricky because there's no real beach, just stairs down to some really big rocks. So I was happy just doing recon, observing, and from a vantage point you don't often get, which was up above surfers as they caught waves. This was interesting and somewhat instructional because one got a new perspective from this angle.  All in all, I was happy with this session, even though I didn't come close to wave catching. I did return to Santa Monica to just swim a bit because I didn't want to leave without getting wet.

Another recon mission this week was to check out Trois Familia, the new spot in Silver Lake from Jon Shook, Vinny Dotolo, and Ludo Lefebvre, the trio also behind the wonderful Petit Trois and Trois Mec. Trois Familia is only open for brunch and lunch, and these dudes have come up with a menu that's somewhat French, somewhat Mexican and, of course, entirely delicious-sounding. I'd seen reports (including from Jonathan Gold in the LA Times) about the potato tacos. Sam and I discussed checking out Trois Familia, but we figured on a weekend it would be a mob scene, so I decided to do a recon during the week, early-ish, hoping it wouldn't be too crowded. Of course, even mid-week, it was pretty busy. If I hadn't been solo, there would have been a wait. But I snagged a seat at a table with other diners -- it's all communal seating on picnic tables in a space that used to house Alegria. You grab your own silverware too so if that, and sharing tables, bothers you, this isn't your kind of place. I don't mind it. It can be fun eavesdropping actually, and everybody seems pretty stoked about what they're eating and sharing their suggestions.  I really wanted the tacos, but I must say almost everything on the menu sounds so good, so a return will have to be in order. Here are the tacos:


So there was potato, shredded carrot, lots of diced chilis (I think JalapeƱos but they might have been Serrano...they had some heat so FYI) and definitely lime. Then there's Jack cheese and creme fraiche. All of this goodness is stuffed into a crispy taco shell, which is then stuck inside a soft taco! The combination -- crisp, gooey from the cheese and spicy is just incredible. I loved these tacos, and they're vegetarian too. If you're in the Silver Lake area and you're looking for a good brunch spot, Trois Familia will not disappoint. Here's their link:



No comments:

Post a Comment