Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Crappy Surf, Good Surf, Even Gave A Tip. Plus An Hour Well-Spent At The Grand Central Market: Wexler's, Belcampo and McConnell's Ice Cream!

More SW swell and more choppy seas have meant some not so fun sessions in the water until Sunday, when the swell eased and so too did the chop. I paddled out really early and I did pretty good on some small waves. In fact I even had a first -- not far from from me in the line-up was a guy who was clearly a surfer like me -- kind of a kook. I was watching as he kept trying to paddle into and catch waves but he wasn't having much luck. I am so far from any kind of expertise about this sport but I've been at it for a while, plugging away methodically in an attempt to improve, and I have learned a few things, both from all the lessons I took and just from a lot of trial and error, and also watching better surfers. I could clearly see this dude was perched too far back on his board and that also he needed to paddle a couple more times in order to get into the wave. Then I debated whether or not to say anything because you never know if a person's going to be into getting advice or not. But I did say something. And he didn't get mad or anything. In fact he kind of knew what he was doing wrong and was going to try and make the correction, he said. And he thanked me. That was cool. So, all in all, a pretty good surf session.

Often afterwards I stop at McCall's Meat and Fish on the way home to pick up something to make for dinner. People know I'm loyal to McCall's through and through. I'm pretty sure I was literally one of the first people through the door when they opened, and it's been such a joy watching this business grow, expand and thrive. But this week Nathan and Karen have closed up shop for vacation! Knowing this was coming I did pick up a few things to stick in the freezer, but I needed some pork shoulder for canitas. So if you happen to be reading this Nathan or Karen, look away now, because I picked it up at the competition, Belcampo Meat Company in the Grand Central Market where, I have to say, these Bistecca alla Fiorentina's also caught my eye. Look at these babies!


To be honest, I'd been meaning to check out Belcampo, and if there was no McCall's I'd have gotten there sooner. But every time I thought about going, it felt like cheating. But since they're on vacation, I felt it was okay. A few things to know about Belcampo, which is not just a butcher, but also a farming operation. They care about the welfare of their animals, and they care about the land. This is so important, I think. I've said this before but it bears repeating. If you're going to eat meat, get it from the best source you can, from places like McCall's and Belcampo or a farmer's market, where often you can look the farmer in the eye and actually talk to him or her. Yes, you will pay more than you would at the supermarket, but it's okay to eat less meat and buy better quality, I say. In fact that should be everybody's policy. Anyway, turns out Belcampo was out of pork shoulder, but they were super-helpful, and the butcher behind the counter suggested I could use some pork sirloin. He even knocked a couple of bucks off the price since they were out of shoulder. Soon I'll return and try their burger for lunch. Oh, and here's the pork sirloin, cut into cubes and seasoned, before being turned into Carnitas. Beautiful, huh? You can always tell high quality pork from that rich, really white layer of fat. The carnitas tacos, by the way, were excellent. Side note to the Bistecca mention: we've had Bistecca alls Fiorentina in Florence, at a little tucked-away restaurant called Trattoria Sostanza. If you ever get to Florence, go there. You won't forget your meal, I assure you.


But Belcampo wasn't the only stop. I've mentioned that I can't seem to pass through the Grand Central Market without stopping at Wexler's Deli. I thought maybe this time. But no. Lunch was this Reuben from Wexler's.


Somehow it was even better than the last time I had it -- they've got the bread perfectly crisp and the swiss cheese perfectly melty. This sandwich is the ideal combination of salty, tart from the sauerkraut, smoky from the beef and rich from the cheese. I am addicted to this sandwich.

Oh, and there was one more stop. Directly across from Wexler's is this place--


Yes, McConnel's Ice Cream. How convenient is that? Like Belcampo, McConnell's has been on the must-try list for a while, but usually after eating Wexler's I'm kind of stuffed. But this time I figured I'd ask if they could pack the goods in ice so I could bring some home for Sam and we'd eat it later. McConnell's, by the way, began up in Santa Barbara, in 1949. So they've been at it awhile and clearly they know what they're doing, making small-batch ice cream from scratch. Lucky for us, they've slowly been expanding south. I ordered a couple of scoops of Salted Caramel and then a vanilla-like Sweet Cream. Can I just say this was some of the most delicious ice cream I've ever eaten? Okay, there, I said it. Go to McConnell's and get some ice cream.

www.mcconnells.com
www.belcampomeatco.com



No comments:

Post a Comment