Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2015

One Step Forward…Plus Dune, And Not The Sand Kind, for a Vegetarian Lunch

After a few sessions in the water where I've done pretty good for a Kook, the last couple of times have not been as productive and kind of a bummer. First in Malibu conditions were not ideal, but I paddled out anyway. I tried to catch a couple of waves but didn't really get much of anything. Then, in Santa Monica yesterday, again the session was not great. This time conditions were on the bumpy side, and the waves were what I think some people call mushy, or they were closing out. Again, I did my best to try, but it was not my greatest effort. I've said this before, though, but it bears repeating: I consider any time in the water productive time. If nothing else it adds to the knowledge base.

Lunch, on the other hand, was a resounding success. In a previous post I mentioned Dune, which opened in Atwater Village not too long ago. We've now tried quite a bit of Dune's menu, and everything is so excellent. The falafel, for one, is I think the best I've had anywhere, and it's not just me saying that -- EaterLA just rated it number one too. The falafel at Dune isn't dry and crumbly like some  you encounter but moist on the inside, with a perfect crunchy crust. They have a pickled beet sandwich that's incredible. I've also sampled the lamb sandwich, which was delicious as well. But this time I felt like being super-healthy and going vegetarian for lunch so here's what I had:


This is the falafel and hummus plate, which is very generous and very filling. There's three nice sized falafel, a large serving of Hummus (which is also really terrific), pickled cabbage on the side, along with some watercress and a pretty large piece of naan-like flatbread. There's a generous amount of food on this plate, but it's all so healthy you don't feel overstuffed after finishing it all off. I've read elsewhere that Dune is serving some of the best falafel in town right now, and it's true. Go!

www.dune.kitchen


No comments:

Post a Comment