Search This Blog

Friday, January 16, 2015

To The Beach For Redemption! Then Back To Town For Night + Market Song's Fried Chicken Sandwich.

Have you ever felt the need to redeem yourself? Have you ever been in search of redemption because you did something badly when you knew you could do it better? Well, that was my surf life last week. First I had a sort of fail at El Porto (though not with lunch…lunch was great!). But then I hit up Santa Monica the next day because I wanted to redeem myself. Well, things didn't go as planned, as often happens when it comes to oceans and surfing. Mother Nature makes the rules in this game. Again, conditions were not in my sweet spot, but I tried to battle through it anyway. Then something strange happened and I got spooked. I was in the middle of the paddle out, and while the waves weren't, of course, gigantic, I got caught in the whitewash and had to dive under a couple. That wasn't so bad, but the strange thing was I after a wave or two passed, I oriented myself, got up on my board and tried to continue my paddle out, but I was caught in some current and wasn't moving! It wasn't a rip, because it wasn't taking me out, which is actually where I'd want to go. It was just keeping me stuck in one place, right smack in the middle of the impact zone. So of course I got pounded by a couple of more waves. It all turned out well. I didn't panic, and I got myself together so I could get back to shore, but it definitely left me unsettled and scratching my head, because I wasn't exactly sure what happened. The good news is I didn't exactly throw in the towel. I sat on the beach for a while and watched the waves and other surfers, and I made an attempt to go back out. But the truth was I was kind of done. Conditions just weren't right for me. The waves were a little bigger than I'd expected, and they were coming in a little faster. And I was really disappointed with myself because I thought it was going to be a good day. Upon reflection I realized I made a couple of key mistakes. One was not paying attention to what I know is my sweet spot: mid-tide on days that are in the 1-3 foot range. I wanted to go and be done at a certain time, and so I went out at high tide and I shouldn't have. This taught me I need to be much more flexible. If conditions aren't right, stay off the board!

But then yesterday conditions looked good, and I saw that my mid-tide would work with my schedule nicely so out I went. And I had a great time. These waves were pretty tiny, and very mellow, but that was okay. I paddled into a couple and I got up on a couple. There were these two French dudes out there who were nearly as kooky as me, and one even gave me a thumbs up when I got a short ride. That was a first and I couldn't stop grinning because it was so goofy.

So redemption crossed off the list, at least for now, It was time for lunch and another first. I'd been hearing so much good about Kris Yenbamroong's Night + Market, both the original in West Hollywood, and the newer outpost in Silver Lake, Night + Market Song. We love Thai food, but somehow we just haven't made it yet for dinner. But recently I read Song was doing a lunch service so I figured it was a good time to check it out. So I headed east on Sunset. I found a space to park pretty much right in front of the place so that was a good omen, no? Night + Market Song is a cool space -- bright kicky colors on the walls and flowered oilcloths on the tables sort of reminded me of the basements and rec rooms of my suburban youth but I mean that in a good way! Somewhere I had seen a picture of the Thai fried chicken sandwich, and that was what I had my eye on. So I ordered it, and here it is--


Not only was I told I was lucky because I got the last fried chicken sandwich of the day, but also it was huge!  Indeed it was. Also, it was amazingly delicious.The crust was thin but really, really crisp. There was a good amount of spice, but also some sweetness, and a lot of cilantro, which I love. This clearly has to be up there with the best fried chicken sandwiches in town. I definitely want to go back because there was more on the lunch menu to sample, or maybe we'll hit it up at dinner, though I hear it can be pretty busy. Anyway, if you find yourself in Silver Lake, and you're hungry, go!

For more info:

www.nightmarketsong.com


1 comment: